'Conversations with Worn Objects' blog series - Karen




1. Why did you choose this particular piece of jewellery?

During a holiday in Spain I suddenly decided that when I returned home I would finally ask Katherine to make me a ring. I cannot say why it happened then or there; it had been ten years since I’d commissioned a significant ring, so perhaps it was just time.

In attempting to remember why I fell for this particular design, I suspect I may have developed a crush on one she posted on her blog.

I wanted a bold strong piece with a dark central stone; and I wanted a ring that I would feel when I was wearing it. I loved the wobbly oval shape of the ‘Celebration’ ring. It was almost the exact opposite of the ring I wore most at the time: a sharp-edged, Art-Deco inspired, high-polished ring set with a princess cut diamond. This ring would be its balance, its complement: softer and more forgiving of life’s imperfections, moody and changeable.

Further though, I responded to Katherine’s reason for making this design for herself.

2. Tell me about the experience of wearing this piece?

For the first few years of owning this piece I wore it every day. I don’t wear jewellery in my home, but always have one on when I leave the house. I prefer to wear only one ring at a time, and this was the chosen one for a long time. Though I now wear it on a different finger to the one we designed it for, I love that it has a presence and a weight and that I know I’m wearing it.

Recently I commissioned another beautiful ring from another Melbourne jeweller, which I sometimes wear instead. These two are the only rings I choose between to wear right now, and they are different in almost every aspect. Therefore the mood I’m in will dictate the ring I wear: I will choose this one when I’m feeling bolder, ready to take on the world and be seen.


3. What story does the jewellery piece tell, what is its significance to you?

I thought about how to answer this question for a long time.
When I started wearing the ring my life was changing; all was in upheaval, and although it was at my own behest it was deeply unsettling. Sometimes the ring reminds me of that time, but it’s much more than just a reminder of the past. The fact that I still wear it, that I still love to wear it, that I still catch myself staring into the depths of the stone, is evidence that it’s significant to me … though how to adequately describe why evades me.


4. What about my practice drew you to commission your piece?

Through reading Katherine’s blog I responded to what she was sharing, and found her inspirations and her observations of the small things appealed to me.


What I love most about Katherine’s aesthetic is the celebration of variation, of the imperfect. In my own practice I tend to be too rigid, and so I admire makers who aren’t constrained in this way. This ring is a little reminder everyday to appreciate the small details and little imperfections.